Plastic is perhaps one of the worst things to ever be unleashed on the environment. It is virtually everywhere. It is in our streets, in our oceans and even inside of us. With so much plastic pollution all around us, it is time we seriously considered going plastic-free.
Why Do We Need to Quit Using Plastics?
Plastic causes damage in many different ways. It is not only harmful to our generations to come, but it is also causing serious damage to our environment. Here are the top reasons why we need to stop using plastics:
- Plastic bags are not biodegradable
- Plastic production uses an enormous amount of energy and resources
- Plastic is harmful to human health
- Plastic waste is harmful to wildlife and marine life
- Plastic waste pollutes our land and water
- Plastic recycling is far from efficient
How to Live a Plastic-Free Life
If you want to play your role in protecting the environment from degradation by plastic, it is time to join the movement and learn how to go plastic-free. Here are 3 effective tips for reducing your over-reliance on plastic:
- Switch to Reusable Grocery Bags: Reusable grocery bags made from renewable materials help in environmental conservation by replacing plastic bags. Reusable bags are convenient and come in different styles, sizes and materials.
- Recycle Your Plastic Bags: Recycling plastic bags is not really efficient, but it is certainly better than not doing it at all. If you use plastic bags every now and then, make sure that you recycle them. Today, many grocery stores collect plastic bags for recycling.
- Invest in a Reusable Water Bottle: Carrying a reusable bottle with you is perhaps the easiest solution for reducing plastic waste. Plastic bottles are one of the leading contributors to environmental pollution.
Best Tips in Reducing Plastic Waste
If you can go organic and not use plastics at all, you will have played your role in conserving the environment. Here are some of the best tips that you can implement in your life to reduce plastic waste:
- Take your own coffee mugs and takeout containers to your favourite restaurants and cafes and avoid those that don’t offer plastic-free alternatives.
- Speak out in support of local plastic bans, by starting conversations with your neighbours, submitting op-eds to your city’s newspapers, or simply calling your local government representative.
- Buying second hand and sustainably made clothes and avoiding fast fashion garments made from polyester since it leeches microplastics into the water when laundered.
- Buying a bamboo or metal reusable utensils. You should then pack it alongside reusable cutlery and dental products (such as a bamboo toothbrush or metal chopsticks) for sustainable eating and hygiene on the go.
- Avoid plastic wrap completely by using reusable containers to store leftovers. Reusable and compostable beeswax wrap is an excellent alternative.
Plastic waste is a massive problem, and reducing our plastic usage is one of the easiest and most effective ways to deal with the menace. We should try limiting our use of single-use plastics that could otherwise pollute the environment and impact our health negatively.
If everyone plays their part in limiting their consumption of disposable plastic, we can start reversing the plastic problem. This will help us leave a clean and beautiful planet for future generations to enjoy!
SHOP Sustainable Products from Goods that Give!
If you would like to play your role in protecting the environment from the destructive menace that is plastic waste, you should seriously consider shopping for sustainable, plastic-free products from Goods that Give. 50 per cent of our profits are channelled to charity, which should give you even more encouragement to buy from us. Click below to get started today!